GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 10/29/19

The meeting was called to order at the home of Amy Haven by Larry Desmarteau.  Attendees were:Chuck Lawrence, Blake Larson, Sandy Adams, Amy Haven, and Miranda Burnett.  Absent:  Leslie Hind and Shawnna Steele.

Larry passed out a draft shell that could be used to petition the State for financial support for dredging, spillway and algae control.  He asked board members to draft ideas for the wording and to send those to him.  He would like to put together a draft then form a committee to review and edit the petition.  Once the committee has a draft petition it would go out for review.  Then lake residence would have opportunity to sign.  Dredging costs at this time are probably over $1.3M and Gardner would need help with 40% of the cost.  The board felt strongly that the state should help with the cost of dredging since residence pay state taxes, buy boat and fishing licenses.  The petition is important to get out and get feedback from the state.

A note of concern on the spillway start was the that the KPW did not approve of the spillway plan.  Michael Cramer indicated to Larry that the concern was the plan did not address the debris buildup and tree growth in the drainage area past the spillway.  The city and public works are having a meeting this week about their concerns.  Larry will contact Michael and get back to the board and residents the outcome of this meeting.  The board hopes that the spillway repair can still move ahead in spring of 2020. 

October Association meeting minutes have been reviewed by the board and put on the Lake website.  The September board minutes are also available on line.

Leslie was called into work and could not deliver the treasurer’s report. 

Larry passed out a list of out top events and what functions need to be covered for these.  He would like us to plan more ahead on who is doing which activities to support the events. Some of the same folks are getting overloaded with back to back events. We need more volunteers and committees to help with events.  Miranda suggested using Survey Monkey to find out what events the lake residence would like and who would be willing to volunteer for events.  The board approved of using this survey.  Miranda will setup the survey and Blake will help get to all the lake residents.

The calendar is on track to get it done and to printer in November (2 weeks).  Larry gave out a list of the advertisers noting which ones will not be advertising, which ones have paid and which ones still owe.  Two additional advertisers have paid (Jawhawk Foot & Ankle, Cordray Roofing).  Sandy will get Blake the JPEG files from the advertisers so he can get these on the website. Larry also passed out a letter to go out with the calendars when lake representatives deliver calendars.  He had the board review the wording.

We discussed the years coming events. There will be no Christmas lighting contest for 2019.  The 4th of July boat parade for next year needs more contestants.  With it being on a Friday  Amy thought we would have more entries.  We would also like to add a category that encourages folks to just get out and join the parade, not require much effort.  Chuck proposed a monetary award for the top boats.  The board liked this idea. We will discuss this further at the next board meeting.  Ideas for two new events for a Lilly Pad race (Lilly pad race involves putting pads across the lake in a more narrow area and folks race across the top of the pads) and a color race (runners race to stations, get doused with a different color)  The color race would be a gravel type run and the route could go from the lake park across the dam and down lake road 1-3 and then loop back to avoid going out on the main road about 2+ miles.  If we went around the lake we would need police to close roads.  By using only our private lake roads  this could be avoided.  Miranda would be interested in heading up the organizing of the color run.April 25th, Saturday after Earth day was set for removing any new tree start on dam (weather permitting).

Miranda is taking over responsibility of the t-shirts.  Larry will drop off the remaining shirts to her.  She has some ideas for long sleeve shirts with Gardner lake written on sleeve, state of Kansas outline and the lake picture. 

We reviewed the Gardner paper article about the association meeting.  It was a nice article with nothing controversial.  The board voted that in the future the paper would not be invited to attend.  The board thought the residence should feel free to bring up concerns and grievancesat the meeting.

Meeting was adjourned.

-Submitted by Melinda Broward