GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 9/20/23

Meeting Called to Order by Mike Rankin at 4:07 PM on Zoom

Present:           Ryan Mueller, Mike Rankin, Melinda Broward, Leslie Hind, Clifton Bencke, Sandy Adams

Absent:            Amy Heaven, Blake Larson, Greta Jahraus

Agenda: Presented by Mike, approved as submitted.

Secretary: Presented by Ryan, approved as submitted

Treasury: Presented by Leslie Hind. The kayak race brought in $588 including the raffle and donations. Towel sales have brought in a profit of over $500. Chili cookoff/ soup challenge costs adding up to $78 so far. Assets for the GLA currently total $25,196.

Old Business:

  -Taskforce Update: The taskforce reviewed the survey results and feel they indicate a continuation of research on the projects. Accordingly, research into dredging and the dam infrastructure continues. The team checked to make sure the city is still open to negotiating major projects and potential change of ownership and they are. The taskforce is looking forward to presenting next considerations to residents at the fall meeting.

  -Terms for officers: The board discussed implementing terms for board members into the by-laws and plan to work on something to present to residents.

  -Lake update: Presented by Leslie. The city has added some signage to indicate public water access. In addition, they have put in some fish habitats. There were concerns about catching anchors and fishing lures on these, the city has said we should not have issues – they said they will do much better than Christmas trees.

  -Special Events: Presented by Melinda. We debriefed on the successful kayak race and discussed improvements for next year.

New Business:

-Soup Challenge (Chili cookoff): coming on October 21st, arrive hungry and please bring your best soups. We will have great raffle prizes!

-At the Fall Resident’s meeting, we will begin selling $10 raffle tickets and in the Spring we will raffle a top-notch dock ladder donated by Mac’s Docks to a lucky resident!

-The board planned for the upcoming Fall Resident’s meeting on October 21st

Adjournment:

  -Mike moved to adjourn the meeting, this was seconded by Leslie.

GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 8/16/23

Meeting Called to Order by Amy Heaven at 4:03 PM on Zoom

Present:           Amy Heaven, Ryan Mueller, Mike Rankin, Melinda Broward, Sandy Adams, Blake Larson, Leslie Hind, Clifton Bencke, Greta Jahraus

Absent:           

Agenda: Presented by Mike, approved as submitted.

Secretary: Presented by Ryan. Note added for kayak race per Melinda suggestion. Approved as with that change.

Treasury: Presented by Leslie Hind. Outgoing funds included $40 annual fee for non-profit organization status, $150 for renting meeting space, $1189 for towels, and $427 for 4th of July parade supplies and prizes. Incoming funds included $1135 for towels, and $70 for other merchandise. This gives a total of $24,291 for all assets. Approved as submitted.

Old Business:

-Resident Directory: Mike is working diligently on this. We discussed giving residents a heads up in case they want to be excluded from the directory.

-Special Events:

     -Kayak race: discussed logistics and planning for upcoming kayak race on 9/4. Clifton is going to create a Facebook event for this.

     -Chili cookoff / Soup challenge: Will take place October 21st! Weed wacking event will take place weekend before on October 14th

     -Rock the Docks: Schedule is set for multiple bands over the Labor Day weekend. Going to investigate ability to set up Venmo tipping for the bands

-Sailing/Kayak program: Clifton is working on setting up a sailing and kayak program with the city of Gardner, more to come and please contact Clifton if you are interested in helping.

-Algae/moss: this is being monitored and if it gets too aggressive will call the city and request a spraying

-Lake Taskforce Update: The board reviewed and discussed the high-level results from the anonymous surveys. After the taskforce reviews the survey, the results will be circulated on the Facebook page for residents to review.

New Business:

-None at this time

Adjournment:

-Ryan moved to adjourn the meeting, this was seconded by Mike.

GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 7/19/23

Meeting Called to Order by Amy Heaven at 4:09 PM on Zoom

Present:           Amy Heaven, Ryan Mueller, Mike Rankin, Melinda Broward, Sandy Adams, Blake Larson, Leslie Hind, Clifton Bencke

Absent:            None

Agenda: Presented by Mike, approved as submitted.

Secretary: Ryan did not have June minutes completed yet.

Treasury: Presented by Leslie Hind. Dumpster cost was $1,152 leaving total in assets of $24,071.

Old Business:

-Task force update by Leslie Hind: We are fielding questions from residents after sending out the FAQ and a survey. We are also working on a paper version of the FAQ and survey for people who do not use email.

-City removed the broken fish feeder and they are going to work with KDWP to add fish habitats.

-Special Events by Melinda Broward:

  -Annual Kayak Race is coming on 9/4! Planning taking place for that

-Planning for the Chili/Soup cookoff is starting!

-There will be a brush cleanup at the dam the weekend before Labor Day (8/26 or 8/27).

-Several homes will have bands playing for Rock the Docks, GLA to share schedule

-Merchandise by Sandy Adams: 18 of the new Gardner Lake towels have been sold and $70 in other apparel. See Sandy for a towel!

New Business:

-None at this time

Adjournment:

-Greta moved to adjourn the meeting, this was seconded by Leslie.

GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 6/21/23

Meeting Called to Order by Mike Rankin at 4:00 PM on Zoom

Present:           Ryan Mueller, Mike Rankin, Melinda Broward

Absent:            Amy Heaven, Leslie Hind, Blake Larson, Sandy Adams, Clifton Bencke, Greta Jahraus

Agenda: Presented by Mike, approved as submitted.

Secretary: May minutes presented by Ryan, approved as submitted.

Treasury: Leslie Hind submitted a report prior to the meeting. It indicated a total of $26,667.84 in assets for all accounts. So far $291.27 has been spent in preparations for the 4th of July parade.

Old Business:

-Discussed 4th of July preparations.

-Rock the Docks band sign ups should be coming out soon

-Kayak race is coming soon on September 4th!

-Lake Task Force Update: The team felt it was a productive meeting on June 10 and thanks the community for the words of support and the constructive criticism. The team feels that the next step is to get the residents on the same page as far as what is currently understood about the improvement projects. The task force will be sharing a FAQ sheet summarizing the information gathered so far. Once all residents have the same information, the task force intends to get a straw poll of the support of the community in order to decide whether to continue this investigation.

New Business:

-None at this time

Adjournment:

-Mike moved to adjourn the meeting, this was seconded by Melinda.

GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 5/17/23

Meeting Called to Order by Ryan Mueller 4:00 PM on Zoom

Present:           Ryan Mueller, Leslie Hind, Melinda Broward, Sandy Adams, Clifton Bencke, Greta Jahraus

Absent:            Amy Heaven, Mike Rankin, Blake Larson

Agenda: Presented by Ryan, approved as submitted.

Secretary: April minutes presented by Ryan, approved as submitted.

Treasury: Presented by Leslie Hind. Total assets are $24,763.64. Memberships are continuing to come in at a good pace.

Old Business:

-Lake Update: June 10 preparations are under way. Still finding a location, most places cost $1000+ or are booked. Team will work on a zoom broadcast/recording for the June 10 meeting. Leslie has been researching dredging and associated costs. Our most recent sedimentation rate study was done in 2004 and would need repeated.

-Dumpster Weekend: Also on June 10, we have determined where the dumpsters will be located. The team is making sure that proper labeling and instructions are posted for do/do not. Leslie will let the metal recycling guy know about the event.

-July 4th Event: Preparations are under way including choosing a parade Grand Marshall, designing a banner to celebrate the 20th annual parade, finding trophies for parade winners, and setting up the Facebook voting. Some residents have expressed concern at the amount of unruly behavior around the dam on the 4th of July evening. Many on the board share these concerns, but the GLA does not have authority to patrol, shutdown, or otherwise control the dam visitors.

-Signage/Buoys: Many of the “no wake” buoys have gone loose around the lake. Ryan and Clifton will work to find and reset these in the lake. Leslie mentioned that we need to add a sign for not removing carp at the South end of the lake, Sandy going to work on moving an extra sign.

-Directory: Lake Road Reps have been hard at work confirming and adding resident’s contact information.

-Spillway work: City planning to clear spillway to 151st street.

New Business:

-Fishing Report: Leslie spoke to the Kansas Wildlife and Parks after they performed a fish survey. They noted a decrease in the number and weight of bass but were not concerned with the amount of change at this time. This year they put 900 lbs. of bass in the lake and they are planning to add the same amount in the fall. Leslie asked if they noted any concerns with lake weeds. They were not concerned with the curly-leaf pondweed that has been identified here at Gardner Lake and mentioned it could help give the undersized bass more coverage. They did not think any spraying was needed for the lake at the time they assessed. The GLA is not 100% satisfied with the caretaking of the fish population and is keeping a close eye on whether to raise concerns with the KDWP.

-Clifton Bencke’s Sailing program: Clifton is discussing specifics with the city. The vessels needed for this project could not be privately owned, they would need to be donated. These would also need a storage location at Gardner Lake. Clifton is looking for assistance from residents on this project.

-Fish Feeder: Needs to be marked with reflective tape. Ryan will look into doing this.

Adjournment:

-Leslie moved to adjourn the meeting, this was seconded by Melinda.

GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 4/19/23

Meeting Called to Order by Amy Heaven 4:00 PM on Zoom

Present:           Amy Heaven, Ryan Mueller, Leslie Hind, Melinda Broward, Sandy Adams, Blake Larson

Absent:            Clifton Bencke, Mike Rankin, Greta Jahraus

Secretary: Presented by Ryan. Approved as submitted.

Treasury: Presented by Leslie Hind. The GLA brought in $2,661, from 86 dues this year. Board members voted to approve spending for a lake road rep meeting for up to $200 for food and supplies. Leslie is working with a resident on performing an annual review of the GLA finances.

Old Business:

  -Lake Update: Presented by Leslie Hind. The taskforce is meeting and corresponding frequently. They are researching dredging and spillway repair options for presentation on June 10th. Preparations are also being made for that meeting. The taskforce is communicating with the city of Gardner, trying to learn more about the history of the lake’s infrastructure so that residents have the most accurate information to make decisions from.

-ByLaws: Presented by Ryan Mueller. He discussed the suggestions that came up during the Resident’s meeting. The group decided the proposed by-laws update will be tabled for now so that the Board can focus on Lake infrastructure projects.

-Lake Resident Directory: Still building a complete directory. Reps are meeting with GLA soon to get organized and get on the same page for efforts this summer.

-Social Events: The Board agreed to allot $600 for the 4th of July parade and $500 for each other major social event through the year.

New Business:

-Newsletter: in progress and coming out soon!

Adjournment:

-Ryan moved to adjourn the meeting, this was seconded by Leslie.

GLA Spring Resident’s Meeting Minutes – 3/25/23

Meeting Called to Order by Amy Heaven 9:00 AM at the Gardner Senior Center, also live through Zoom

Present:           Amy Heaven, Greta Jahraus, Leslie Hind, Blake Larson, Mike Rankin, Clifton Bencke, Ryan Mueller, Sandy Adams

Absent:            Melinda Broward

Infrastructure Q&A: Amy Heaven began the meeting and introduced Leslie Hind, leader of the Infrastructure Taskforce. Leslie discussed recent work by the taskforce including meeting with the city and county to level-set the current situation. Currently, the only serious commitment is the county has offered a wastewater grant for $400K towards dam / spillway maintenance. The remainder of funding for that project would have to be sourced by the city, the lake residents, or some combination of the two. She then introduced the expert panel assembled for the Q&A: Clint Anderson of Lake Road 2 and Stifel Investment Services, Tim Orrick of Lake Road 1 and Orrick Law Group, and Shirley Allenbrand, Johnson County Commissioner District 6 (Gardner Lake being in District 6). This panel accepted open questions and comments from those present at the meeting.

A special mention goes to Walt Bickley, a committed defender of Gardner Lake and our community, who has put many hours into research. Walt brought up several concerns including the cost and scope of the project that could balloon, and historical letdowns by the city that should be righted. Shera Shrum commented that the lake is today a rare resource and it will someday be an even rarer resource and commodity. A resident asked about alternative funding sources such as the Army Corps of Engineers, State and Federal grants, etc. Another resident brought up the land parcels the city has around the lake that can help pay for current maintenance needs.

Tim Orrick mentioned the current estimate we have for the cost of the spillway repair is $877K, though agreed this number could be outdated or inaccurate. Tim mentioned that even though we have some responsibility, one of the taskforce’s duties is to minimize the amount of that burden that falls on residents and not price residents out. He said that negotiating with the city gives us control over the outcome of these projects, versus letting the city make decisions unilaterally.

Shirley Allenbrand offered a commitment to work for the residents of the lake toward a solution. She said consensus from the community on what projects we support is important for her team to get working on a project. Her team can help us find alternative funding sources such as grants. Shirley believes dredging is a key issue as well for lake health and property values.

Clint Anderson acknowledged the city has an obligation to fulfill its duties and also believes the current situation could be an extremely rare opportunity for residents to gain ownership of the lake.

Everyone on the panel acknowledged that if the lake will be successfully maintained, it will be with some financial help from residents. The panel and board also realized the makeup of this lake has historical and fixed income residents that need to be considered. Residents will have to come to a consensus on if and what projects to undertake, with ‘do nothing’ and ‘go private’ being the two options at the extremes. In order to begin working to come to a consensus on what we do next, the GLA would like to host a meeting regarding infrastructure in the early summer. Which brings us to….

Important Note: We need to decide as a community what solutions we are willing to support in order to maintain this lake. We hope to begin community discussions on dam / spillway maintenance and dredging at a June 10th meeting, please attend to hear more!

Secretary: Minutes were read from the GLA website by Ryan Mueller. Blair Honeyman moved to approve the minutes. Approved by majority.

Treasury: Presented by Leslie Hind. Currently 86 people have paid a total of $2,661 (including donations) for 2023 dues. The GLA profited $355 on calendars after sponsorships totaling $1,855 minus expenses of $1500 (Thank you!).  The Chili feed was a great success last year, the GLA collected $797 at the event as well as sold $755 in merchandise. The GLA spent $161 on an annual zoom account. In total the GLA currently holds a balance of $23,702.12.

Leslie asked for general approval towards allotting $10,000 of the current GLA budget towards any legal needs needed as lake infrastructure solutions are researched. She received a general approval from the membership and no comments against the action were voiced.

A resident brought up that the GLA by-laws indicate an annual audit of the GLA books should be performed. This will be completed as soon as possible.

A majority approved the financial report as discussed.

Lake Road Reps: Ryan Mueller discussed that Lake Road Reps are an important part of GLA outreach and an important way to get feedback from residents. If you are interested in being a Rep, let the GLA know. The GLA plans to meet and organize with the Lake Road Reps soon.

Social Events: Greta Jahraus presented information on the 2023 lake events. The GLA is looking forward to upcoming events this year including the 4th of July Parade, Rock the Docks on Labor Day weekend, the Chili Contest, and a Christmas light decoration contest. We are looking for help with all of these if you would like to volunteer, let us know!

Merchandise: Sandy Adams presented on the GLA merchandise. The GLA is having a 50% sale right now, see Sandy for details! Sandy and resident Shawnna Steele are working on a fresh new GLA logo, and they would love residents to submit ideas as well!

Directory Update: Ryan Mueller presented on behalf of the work Mike Rankin has been doing to create a complete and accurate directory of the Lake community. This is a daunting task, the best way residents can help is updating the GLA when your contact information changes.

Proposed By-Laws Update: Ryan Mueller proposed a set of updates to the current by-laws, as authored by several members of the GLA Board. The changes to the by-laws were reviewed in detail. A concern was presented about whether the annual review of financial books should be upon request (proposed) or automatic. This brought up an idea for adding verbiage to require the Treasurer to present a general annual financial report to membership. These concerns and suggestions were seen as valid by the Board and because of that the proposal was tabled for further consideration.

Sailing Program / Kayaking Events: Clifton Bencke presented on some work he has been doing trying to bring new recreation to the Lake community. He is working towards bringing a sailing and recreational watersports program to Gardner Lake in coordination with the city of Gardner. If anyone has any ideas or wants to help this program get a start here at the lake, talk to Clifton.  He also hosts a theater program on the water here at Gardner Lake that you should attend when you get the chance!

Adjournment:

-There was a motion to adjourn the meeting, this was seconded and the meeting was adjourned.

GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 3/8/23

Meeting Called to Order by Amy Heaven 4:00 PM at Amy Heaven’s home as well as on Zoom

Present:           Amy Heaven, Greta Jahrus, Leslie Hind, Blake Larson, Mike Rankin, Melinda Broward, Sandy Adams

Absent:            Clifton Bencke, Ryan Mueller

Lake Update: Presented by Leslie. The state is going to add some bass to the lake this year.

Secretary: Approved as submitted.

Treasury: Presented by Leslie. Current amounts are as follows: $22,867 checking, $435 Paypal, $574 Venmo, coming to a total of $23,878.03. Currently 63 people have paid 2023 dues for membership. Advertising for the calendar collected $1500, while the calendar expenses cost $1144.

Old Business:

-Mike Rankin mentioned a Lake Resident Directory is coming soon, he is working on making sure it is accurate and complete before release.

Infrastructure:

-Leslie Hind presented updates on the lake infrastructure. She has been investigating and digging up reports to help determine cost and needs for lake infrastructure.  The task force is meeting on March 9 to continue pushing our options.

-The Gardner City Council held a public meeting recently that touched upon the lake infrastructure. Much was discussed, and several residents made public comments raising their concerns. The funding for the project is up in the air, with some on the council committing some assistance, while others on the council disagreeing with this position. At the meeting, the council created an ambassador to Gardner Lake, and former Gardner Mayor and current City Council Member Steve Shute volunteered to take this position. The council essentially tasked the lake community with returning to them in agreement on a path forward.

-Sandy presented several awesome design options for 2023 merchandise. We will let residents know as soon as new merchandise is available – including some new items!

New Business:

-Spring Resident’s meeting is 3/25!

         -Starting with a Q&A with an extremely knowledgeable expert panel

-Incoming 50% sale on last year’s Gardner Lake merchandise!

-Fall/Winter/Spring newsletter: Amy is working on a forthcoming document.

-We are looking to add 2 members to the Board of Officers. We are taking nominations!

Adjournment:

-Amy moved to adjourn the meeting, this was seconded by Greta.

GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 11/16/22

Meeting Called to Order by Amy Heaven 4:09 PM in Zoom format.

Present:           Amy Heaven, Mike Rankin, Sandy Adams, Ryan Mueller, Greta Jahrus, Melinda Broward

Absent:            Clifton Bencke, Blake Larson, Leslie Hind

Old Business:

-Lake Preservation Force Report: Amy has been discussing infrastructure with the county. The county is interested in having a discussion. Concerns about fixed income residents if dock fee changes are on the horizon.

-Social Events: Christmas light contest is upcoming. Residents can email a photo of their house to GLA and we will host a vote on the GLA Facebook page.

-Calendar Update: Currently accepting advertisers for the calendar.

New Business:

-Task force for by-laws: Amy, Sandy, Greta, and Ryan going to work on a draft for the by-laws.

-Fall/winter newsletter: Amy is working on a forthcoming document.

-Ryan to work on getting by-laws on Lake site.

Adjournment: Greta motioned to adjourn, seconded by Ryan.

GLA Fall Resident’s Meeting Minutes – 10/8/2022

Meeting Called to Order by Amy Heaven 9:00 AM at the Gardner Senior Center.

Board Present: Amy Heaven, Mike Rankin, Sandy Adams, Ryan Mueller, Melinda Broward, Greta Jahrus, Blake Larson, Leslie Hind, Clifton Bencke

Board Absent: None

Introductions: Board members and new lake residents were introduced.

Agenda: Amy Heaven presented the agenda for approval. Miranda Burnett moved to approve the agenda, this was seconded and approved.

Secretary: Ryan Mueller presented the previous resident’s meeting minutes. Blair Honeyman moved to approve the minutes, this was seconded and approved.

Treasury: Presented by Leslie Hind. Major expenses in 2022 were: $636 for 4th of July Parade, $188 for kayak race, $1,472 for dumpsters (for 4 tons of trash removed!), and $850 for the Grass Carp addition project. Funds that were received in 2022 are: $3,954 in dues collected from 115 members, $2,008 collected from merchandise sales, and $4,150 received from 51 benefactors specifically for the Grass Carp addition project (thank YOU!). Leslie explained that of the GLA’s assets, $15,000 has been earmarked for infrastructure expenses and the remaining $3,806 is in the general fund, with another $435 in the Paypal receivable account.

Special Events: Presented by Melinda Broward. Melinda led us down memory lane with a review of the fun events held throughout the year. Some special highlights were the 4th of July Boat Parade with online voting, 2 very successful lake cleanups that beautified the dam / spillway area, and a kayak race with 25 volunteers and 40 participants (including a paddling pup!). Melinda built more excitement for the Annual Chili Cookoff that occurs later this day (10/8/22) and announced a Christmas Light Contest to occur later this year.

Special Presentation: Lake Infrastructure:

-Amy Heaven addressed the recent article by the Gardner News. In response to the article, Amy and the GLA board created a Gardner Lake Infrastructure Taskforce: a subset of GLA board members and residents especially dedicated to getting into the deep details of what it would take to repair the dam and spillway. The taskforce is made up of Leslie Hind, Mike Rankin, Ryan Mueller, Tim Orrick, and Amy Heaven.

-Leslie Hind reviewed the history of the dam / spillway repairs as well as the inspection report produced in 2021 by engineering firm Olsson. The lake Dam is currently classified as a High Hazard dam because a failure of the system could result in extensive loss of life, damage to homes, or traffic on high volume roads.  At the 2021 inspection, the dam was found to be in fair condition but deficiencies and needed repairs were noted including deterioration of the spillway crest, undesirable vegetation along the dam embankment, and sparse riprap in certain locations.

-Tim Orrick presented information on the current governance of the lake and nearby properties. Importantly, it was noted the dam / spillway repairs are estimated to cost in the neighborhood of $800,000. Of this total, Johnson County has offered a grant to pay $400,000 towards these repairs. This has been declined for several years by the city of Gardner due to a lack of funds for the remaining portion of funding – approximately $400,000. So far, the city has expressed that some portion of this cost will be burdened by the residents of Gardner Lake. To this point, the GLA Infrastructure Taskforce is currently investigating options that would help get the dam and spillway repaired with various forms of financial structuring. These options and some of their pro/cons were:

1) Do nothing and allow the city to repair on their terms and timeline

-pros: passive choice, happens automatically

-cons: no control, city could decide to raise dock fees unilaterally to cover costs

2) Work with city to finance a ‘resident portion’ of the cost through dock fees

-pros: some voice in structuring of dock fees

-cons: dock fees not a good mechanism – overcharge some residents and undercharge others

3) City of Gardner passes ownership of the lake to Johnson County

-pros: county has authority to levy tax assessments in a more equitable way than dock fees

-cons: unlikely that Johnson County is interested

4) Transfer ownership of Gardner Lake to a private entity such as a newly formed HOA

-pros: an HOA would have control of decisions

-cons: would be difficult to form an HOA, resident responsibility for repairs increases

Old Business:

-Calendar Update: Sandy Adams is preparing calendars for 2023, sponsorships are available.

-Membership Update: Mike Rankin is working to build a contact list of lake residents for email notifications. Let the GLA know if you are not getting lake announcement emails.

-Dredging/Grass Carp Update: Leslie Hind said that dredging is still a priority and will be investigated soon. The existing and newly added grass carp have been working hard cleaning up algae around the lake.

-Raffle Update: Ryan Mueller showed off the awesome items available in the raffle for the Chili Cookoff.

New Business:

-By-Laws Update: Amy Heaven announced forthcoming proposed updates to the By-Laws to be voted on at the Spring Resident’s meeting.

Adjournment: There was a move to adjourn, which was seconded and passed unanimously.