GLA Board Meeting Minutes – 7/21/22

Meeting Called to Order by Amy Haven 4:00 PM in Zoom format.

Present:           Mike Rankin, Sandy Adams, Ryan Mueller, Melinda Broward, Greta Jarhaus, Leslie Hind, Leslie Nemitoff, and Clifton Bencke. 

Absent:            Amy Haven and Blake Larson unable to attend.

Mike sent out the agenda prior to meeting let us know he would run our meeting since Amy was out of town.

Mike called the meeting to order.  Then presented the June meeting minutes for approval.

Ryan Mueller made the motion that we accept the agenda as submitted and Leslie Hind seconded.  The vote was unanimous and the minutes were accepted.

Leslie Hind sent in the treasury report. We have $20,703.09 in bank account and $435.90 in PayPal, total of $21,138.99.  We still need to pay the bill of $1,472 for the two large trash dumpsters we used for the dumpster weekend. Also still need to pay Sandy and Greta for the 4th of July parade expenses.

4th of July Boat parade was discussed that we had a nice turn out of boats.   All the trophies were given out and we retrieved all but 2 of our reusable boat numbers. The trophies were nice and heavy and a nice size.  We stayed close to budget. Leslie will get us the final numbers once all the invoices are paid. The downside to the parade was that we had a few complaints of a couple of boats were political.  We discussed that we could but in next year’s announcement to please avoid political statements and that we would like to keep the parade family friendly.

Sandy was able to get pictures of each boat and it’s number and sent them to Ryan for posting on our Facebook page for voting.   Had a nice voting turnout.  Also discussed next year we could have boat themes.

Discussed Rock the Dock’s that Amy and Suzy are working on.  Hope to have another good turn- out for 2022.

Discussed Kayak race scheduled for Labor Day.  If we can get some items donated for a raffle that would help generate some revenue and interest.  We are going to give out ribbons like last year and Greta will customize these.  Going to ask the Shawnee Kayaking group if they would like to participate again.  They donated funds.  We couldn’t get a food truck so we are going to do a potluck like last year.  Sandy will sell T-shirts.  Will ask Todd Chapell to do announcing again. Mike will have a boat for the kids turn around (beach house), ask the Burnett’s to cover the adult turn around (band stand).  Amy and Dave will use they double decker boat for the starting line and the judges to be on top.  Also, we will have a first aid boat and another boat at south end by fishing point for professional turn around.  Leslie Hind will work with city to get a porta potty for the fishing derby and the kayak race.

Weekend of the 20th we set for the annual weed and brush cleanup.  Sandy will make a flyer and send it to Mike to send out.  Setting this for prior to the kids fishing derby an outside group is having weekend prior to Labor Day.

The GLA mailing list still needs additional updating some missing emails or phone #’s or dock numbers.  Road reps could also help get this information.  List of membership director hasn’t gone out in a while and discussed this needs to go out again.

Road rep part was canceled and need to setup sometime in September with new date options.  Get the word out ahead of time.

Discussed our Zoom link for meetings needs to be updated so we can have longer meetings.  The free Zoom access is restricting out meeting time and have to relog back in.  Could go ahead and pay for a GLA account.

Discussed Lake Rules, had some complaints folks are swimming off boats.  The City updated the rules in summer of 2021 restricting swimming areas, no tubing, no alcohol and other items.  Probably need to post these again on our website.

Also docks need to get their numbers on several are missing.

Discussed city has no plans or budget this year to treat the algae in the lake.  The carp have done a good job on the main channel down in the south end.  There is a some growing now along the bank and around docks. 

Will work on the Chili cookoff details after the kayak race.  We will be selling tickets for the raffle items Ryan is collecting (hanging outdoor chair and artwork).

The meeting was adjourned.